Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Up and Running At Last

My most sincere apologies for not being able to get online sooner. I've had major issues with technology and with getting here. For those who don't know my flight got cancelled Sunday morning so I had to buy a flight that morning and it ended up being Pittsburgh to Newark then Newark to Birmingham. The words to wake up to on the day of your departure are not "cancelled flight" especially at 8:47 a.m. Oh well, we booked the other flight and I booked it to get ready and was even done early! We began to drive to Pittsburgh and the weather wasn't great, but I was hoping that it wouldn't affect my flight. At any rate, we got there and I checked in and got ready and then we had some lunch and I was on my way. I made it to my gate only to find at the boarding time at 3:30 that all planes in Newark were grounded. We ended up sitting there until about 4:30. I thought that once we got on the plane we would be okay, but definitely not, because Newark decided to only build 2 runways for themselves. At one point we were tenth in line. By the time we landed it was 6:15 p.m. and by the time we got to the gate it was 6:23 p.m. not to bad unless you have to be at the next gate by 6:45 p.m. to begin boarding AND you have to check in to your flight as well! So I book it to the monorail and then find out that I have to go through security again! So I'm standing in security and it's 6:40 p.m. and as soon as I'm done I'm flying down the hall because of course I fly out of gate C95. I get to the gate at 6:55 p.m. and they were boarding the back of the plane... thankfully I made it! When I got on the plane there was a package of a pillow, blanket and headset, I thought that was pretty cool. We got served dinner and breakfast on the plane which was good except that it really messed up my eating schedule, which is still a bit messed up now. I even slept for an hour!! Hard to believe but I did, it was hard to sleep when the lights were on, but that's okay. The movie that was shown was The Lake House and it was actually good in my opinion, lol. I arrived in Birmingham at 7:30 a.m. and had to wait for the mini-bus driver. Thankfully not until noon as was feared, but only until 9 a.m. Then I met Belinda, who actually lives on the third floor in flat 5. She is from Australia and very cool, later that day we actually went out exploring and it was awesome. We've been partners in crime ever since, hah! Just joking. At any rate, it was about an hour drive back and then we just came back and unpacked and then went wandering. We didn't want to sleep because we didn't want to get messed up with the whole time zone thing. It worked actually I haven't felt the jet lag or anything, the only thing that is different is my eating schedule and I'm hungry at lunch now and that's the only time. It's really weird. At any rate, the three days I've been here, we've gone out during the day to explore the town and it's really cute and has all these old buildings and it's just really awesome, plus you have to walk to get there, so it's great exercise. Don't have a lot of pictures of the city yet, but will take some more tomorrow. Tomorrow begins orientation and then it ends on Friday. So not to bad. Everybody in Severn Hall or at least our 6 flats is awesome, we have some people from Australia, The States, Sweden, Finland, France, Canada, Czech Republic and Spain. We're supposed to be getting more people too, because there are two rooms empty in my flat, flat 2. We actually got 4 more boys today, so should be good! We all get along great as well. Last night a bunch of us went out to a pub and it was really good, but the next pub we go to we're getting fish and chips and that I can't wait for! Well I'm going to be off for now and I'm going to attempt to post some photo's of my room, it's not extravagant but that's really okay, because I'm not in that often except to sleep. I've got my new phone and internet now... I ended up having to go and buy a brand new phone but that's okay, because it wasn't nearly as expensive as I thought it would be and it's pretty cool too! Speak soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did the airport pay for your new flight? I would hope so. That would be a lot of greennnnn!

Ashley said...

Unfortunately not, though they did refund for the other ticket, it was still more expensive than the first, because it was scheduled for the next day. However as I found out after I got here, it's a good thing that I had bought the new ticket, because had I arrived later in the day the mini-bus only gets people until a certain time, then you have to take 2 trains and a cab to get to the school! Not to hard, but not easy with a load of luggage! (It happened to the girl from France and the guy from Australia)